helpful veteran resources

Helpful Veteran Resources

Helpful veteran resources for the greater New Haven, Connecticut region including homeless, financial assistance, and Veterans Affairs programs.

  • Urgent Need: dial 2-1-1 or go to
    • If a veteran needs emergency help, call 9-1-1.
    • If a veteran needs urgent help, call 2-1-1.
    • The highly-trained contact specialists at 2-1-1 can provide local referrals to 4,100 agencies and 40,000 programs in Connecticut. Most of the time, this is the one you want.
  • Errera Community Care Center (VA):
    • Interventions (homeless, chemical/mental disorders, aging). 114-152 Boston Post Road, 2nd Floor, West Haven, CT 06516; 203-479-8000; 7:30 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. M-F;
  • Columbus House Inc. (non-profit): Call 2-1-1 for referral.
    • 586 Ella T. Grasso Blvd., New Haven, Ct 06519; 203-401-4400. Harkness House Program (OTH Vets not in VA system; Grant and Per Diem G&PD), 138 Howard Avenue, New Haven; 203-823-3116.
  • Connecticut Veteran Homeless Clinic Phone Line: 203-479-8064
  • National Call Center for Homeless Veterans (24/7): 1-877-424-3838


  • VA Orange Vet Center:
    • 291 South Lambert Road, Orange; 203-795-0148
    • The outreach coordinators here are solid.
  • VA Healthcare West Haven:
    • 950 Campbell Ave. West Haven; 203-932-5711
    • Parking can be a challenge. There is a cafe.
  • VA Benefits Experts: 1-866-9CT-VETS (928-8387); CT.Gov/CTVA
  • VA Veteran Service Officer West Haven: 203-931-0460


Connecticut Soldiers, Sailors and Marines Fund (American Legion): Temporary financial assistance to needy Connecticut wartime veterans, their spouses, and their minor children. 746 Chapel Street, New Haven; 203-789-7841


  • Personal Tax Exemptions > Veterans: “This exemption is available to honorably discharged veterans who served at least 90 days during a period of war. The claimant must file proof of honorable discharge (DD-214) on or before September 30 with the City Clerk.”
    • Get a fresh copy of your DD-214 from the National Archives for the cost of a stamp and a few weeks. Get an extra copy and paperclip it to your will.
  • Personal Tax Exemptions > Disabled Veterans: “This exemption is available to veterans who are deemed by the United States Veterans’ Administration to have suffered a disability. The claimant must file proof of honorable discharge (DD-214) prior to September 30 with the City Clerk and disability verification from the Veteran’s Affairs Regional office and submit it to our office prior to March 31st.”
    • Apply in Assessor’s Office. Benefit Summary Letter generated on eBenefits was accepted. Make sure letter has discharge type (honorable) and service-connected evaluation (percentage) on it.
  • Personal Tax Exemptions > Low Income Veterans: “A person entitled to any veteran exemption above is eligible for additional veteran benefits, provided they meet the income requirements. The filing period is between February 1st and October 1st.”
  • Personal Tax Exemptions > Active Duty Service Members: “A Connecticut resident, who is an active duty member of the armed forces on the assessment date, is eligible for the total exemption of one Connecticut registered motor vehicle. Application must be submitted on or before December 31st of the year in which the taxes are due. A non-Connecticut resident whose vehicle(s) is garaged in this state due to military orders is also entitled to an exemption.”


Helpful veteran resources compiled by Charles M. Pickett (UPDATED: 19FEB2019)

You Might Also Like